Saturday, February 6, 2010

Just a Little Unwashed Fabric - NOT!

Remember when I mentioned hunting through my bins of unwashed fabric for a background for Simple Thymes? Remember when I mentioned I had three bins of unwashed fabric? Yeah, well...

Somehow I had forgotten about two more bins - I have a total of five bins of unwashed fabric - and one is large enough to equal two! Ok, so what's the big deal, you might ask.

I cannot use unwashed fabric. The fumes that come off it when I'm ironing unwashed fabric gives me a headache. So, I have this huge stash of fabric that essentially I can't use - yet. Oh yeah, I have a fairly large stack of fabrics I do play with - washed, ironed and folded on the shelves. Five shelves of fabric, even.

But, 5-6 bins of lovelies I can't play with, only because I haven't gotten around to prewashing it? Unacceptable.

So, while sorting through the bins looking for suitable backgrounds for Simple Thymes - I came up with a plan.

I pulled all the FQs and 1/4 or 1/2 yard pieces and stacked them on my work table...

Hmmm...that didn't make much of a dent. Well, anyway, I figure these will wash up pretty quickly and are simple to iron and get on the shelves. We'll see how long it takes me to do these.

For the larger cuts of fabric, I decided to take a cue from Piece 'O Cake's blog on prewashing fabrics. Becky runs them through her washer (which I already do) and her dryer (which I don't do). She then folds them up and puts them on her shelves. She irons them as she uses them. Since most of my quilts are hand-made, I'm already doing that, too. So, I think I"m going to try her method of skipping the ironing stage in the pre-washing process. But, we'll see how badly wrinkled the first load is before I sell myself on the idea.

Oh well, even if it isn't perfect, it's a plan for now. And after discovering so many gorgeous pieces of fabric I had forgotten about, I think it's about time.


P.S. My friend at work told me the fabrics I didn't remember were the result of other fabrics reproducing. Isn't that just a hilarious idea? She sure had me chuckling. :)

Hmm...I need more shelves...

No comments: