Sunday, September 5, 2010

Some Work in Progress.

I figured it was time to show you a couple of projects I've been spending my time on this week. The first one is my tiny hexagon quilt. Again, the quilt isn't tiny, the hexagons are. The quilt will be queen-sized when I'm finished with it. The photo below shows the entire bottom border and the full width of the quilt.

As you can see, it will be a nice large quilt. Here is a close-up shot of the fabrics I'm using in the border.

I added this picture so you could see the scale of the piece. The scissors are Ginghers with the large finger holes. Everytime I show this project to someone new they call me crazy. You don't think I'm crazy, do you?

Here's what it looks like next to my chair in the living room right now. The basket holds everything nice and tidy. I'm using a pencil case to hold all the loose hexagons. The freezer paper forms go into the Altoids tin when I pull them out. That just leaves my pincushion, thimble and thread. It's a very portable project.

I'm working the quilt in rows right now. I've got the design I'm following all drawn out on graph paper, and it's basically just follow the chart to get the pattern to work out. It's very mindless, relaxing work, which is just the thing sometimes.

The other project I've been spending most of my time on this week has been Teresa Wentzler's Unicorn. I've gotten more than 1/4 of the design finished and I started it on 8/23/10. This is amazingly fast for me. If you look closely, you can see the shadow of the unicorn standing between the trees.


And just so you don't think I'm getting lonely while I stitch away at my unicorn, here's a picture of the new futon we got this week. I threw an old quilt over it so we could allow the animals to sleep on it. The plan is this futon will be where the nephews sleep when they get old enough to spend the night at our house. But since Kendrick has really bad allergies to our animals, we have to protect the mattress from the dander or he might have an allergy attack when he sleeps on it. Anyway, the quilt fit the bill perfectly. Mom found this at a yard sale a couple of years ago and decided she didn't like it anymore - I snatched it up very quickly when I heard that!

That's Felix on the left, Boots in the center, and that ball of black on the right? That's Nika. They work very hard at keeping me company all day while DH is working :)

No comments: